The Bowens Illumitran Slide Copier
The Bowens Illumitran slide copier was the best commercial slide copier made. It is completely self-contained with the camera bellows and rail for close focusing, a calibrated flash built into the base, an optional Contrast Control Unit (CCU), and holders for various formats of original slides. It takes many brands and models of camera bodies and lenses (with the right adapters), so that you do not have to have a dedicated camera or lens just for the copier. You can even use some models of digital cameras on the copier to get high quality digital scans of your slides.
This web page has information on using the Bowens Illumitran slide copier, and has some parts and complete copiers for sale. Take a look and if you have any questions or if there is something that you don't see, let me know.
For Frequently Asked Questions click HERE. For a photo and list of all Illumitran Copier parts click HERE.
DSLRs on the Illumitran?
With most people switching from film to all digital photography, there has been an increased interest in photographers using the realitively inexpensive, used Illumitran copier with their high res DSLRs to digitaize their slides and negatives. The Bowens Illumitran was designed to make all adjustments needed to make exact copies of existing slides on film, and in some cases to even improve them. These copiers work well with DSLRs, but may need different configurations to optimize the quality of the images and the time it takes to make the copies. For more information on using a DSLR on an Illumitran go to my FAQ page on using the Illumitran with a DSLR.
Stereo Slide Copier?
OK. the Bowens Illumitran was not originally designed as a stereo slide copier and Bowens never made a slide holder for stereo slides, but since it is such a good slide copier I have designed a stereo slide holder and have made a small batch that I am now selling. The holder fits model D, 3, and 3S Illumitrans and works quite well.
Illumitran Copiers For Sale
Below are the two Illumitran models that I usually have for sale; a model 3 (comes in black or gray) and a model 3S (black only), both can come either with or without the Contrast Control Units (CCU). With every unit I include: a copy of the instructions, a 35mm mounted slide holder, two pieces of CCU reflecting glass (if needed), and a medium density slide for calibrating your Illumitran. You will need to supply a camera body and an enlarger lens with the correct adapters (I have some listed below, if you need them). These copiers sold new for more than $1,600.00 each, however, I believe that my prices for used equipment are much more in line with the average photo enthusiast's budget. Shipping is extra (it runs about $25 for a complete copier sent by FedEx Ground in the US).
1. Illumitran model 3S with CCU. $150.00
1. Illumitran model 3S without CCU. $140.00
2. Illumitran model 3 with CCU. $140.00
2. Illumitran model 3 without CCU. $130.00
5. Illumitran model 3 base unit only. $95.00
Camera Bodies and Accessories for the Illumitran Copier
1. Nikon F2 with waist level finder so that you can sit and focus instead of standing up. $130.00
2. Nikon FA, FE2 E2 focusing screen. This focusing screen was designed for copying use. It is made for the FA & FE2 cameras, but will fit most Nikon F cameras (there is some exposure compensations if you are using the camera with the light meter, but if you are just using the camera on your copier then you don't use the meter, so it doesn't effect its use.) New with special tweezers for removing and inserting the screen. $40.00
3. Nikon DR-3 right angle viewfinder. Fits most F series Nikon cameras. Lets you sit while while shooting your copies. $70.00
Illumitran Copier Lenses
All lenses come with the appropriate Illumitran adapter (that is why the prices seem high, check out the adapter prices below).
1. Bogen 6X6 f4 60mm lens. $90.00
2. Minolta CE Rokkor f2.8 50mm lens. $155.00
3. Nikon El-Nikkor f4 50mm lens. $90.004. Schneider-Kreuznach Componon f4 50mm lens. $95.00
5. Schneider-Kreuznach Componon f5.6 60mm lens. $95.00
6. Schneider-Kreuznach Componon f5.6 80mm lens. $95.00
Illumitran Copier Accessories
1. Canon lens adapter. $10.00
2. Edixa camera body adapter. $30.00
3. Exakta camera body adapter. $40.00
4. Konica lens adapter. $10.00
5. Leica M camera body and lens adapters set. $45.00
6. M25 enlarger lens adapter. $60.00
7. M39 enlarger lens adapter. $60.00
8. Nikon camera body adapter. $75.00
9. Nikon lens adapter. $10.00
10. Olympus OM camera body adapter. $45.00
11. Pentax K body and lens adapters set. $40.00
12. Pentax Screw Mount body and lens adapters set. $40.0013. Ilford Color Correction Filter Set. Complete set of 3" x 3" color correction filters including a UV filter. $20.00 each (you will need two sets if you have a CCU).
Illumitran Copier Parts
Here are some new and some used parts to get your copier up and running.
1. CCU replacement glass. Finally after several years of searching I have come across a small quantity of CCU reflecting glass. This extra thin glass is not made in the US and is rather expensive to import. Two pieces for only $20.00
2. Opal Glass. Bowens manuals call these white plastic squares "opal glass". They fit in the bottom of the filter tray and diffuse the flash light so that there are no hot spots in your image. I have seen many copiers on eBay missing this piece, or they have turned yellow. $10.00
3. Replacement flash tube used. Fits model D and model 3 only (there is a bump in the glass in the center of the tube right where the clamp is on the model 3S). $35.00
4. Replacement flash tube new. These are new and unused. $65.00
5. Replacement modeling lamps. These are new and unused. One for $6.00, two for $10.00.
6. Illumitran 35mm slide holder. Made of laser cut polymer. Works just like the original. $25.00
6. Illumitran 120mm slide holder. Made of laser cut polymer. Works just like the original. $25.00
7. Illumitran stereo slide holder. Made of laser cut polymer. Once you have calibrated its placement, no need to adjust it again! Push your original slide forward and all the way to the left, expose that frame, slide the original all the way to the right, one more exposure, and you are done! Nothing could be easier! $40.00
8. Illumitran 35mm unmounted film strip holder. This can be adjusted to 24x36 or 18x24. SOLD
9. Illumitran 120mm unmounted film strip holder. This can be adjusted to 60x70 or 60x60. $75.00
10. Illumitran slide holder stage, complete with filter tray, opal glass, and mounting nuts. It fits on top of the copier base, and is used to hold the slide holders in place. It fits model D, 3, and 3S Illumitran copiers. SOLD
11. Illumitran metering photo cell. The meter plugs into the top of the base unit and swings over the slide to be copied so that you can get a perfect exposure. It fits model D, 3, and 3S Illumitran copiers. $25.00
12. Illumitran bellows unit. Is your bellows stiff, cracked, or leaking light? Then it is time to replace your bellows with a nice fresh light-tight one. They are very simple to replace, just unscrew the two screws on your current bellows unit and screw the new bellows on. It fits on both the long and short bellows stands. $25.00
13. Illumitran Contrast Control Unit (CCU). If you have defective CCU and need to replace it, this will do the trick. Comes with 2 pieces of CCU glass. SOLD
14. Illumitran bellows stand. The long bellows stand is for units with no CCU, the short bellows stand is for copiers with a CCU. long $25.00, short $25.00
15. Replacement flash tube for the Illumitran Contrast Control Unit (CCU) - used. These flash tubes are soddered onto a holding bracket inside the CCU. I will send you the whole back side of the CCU so that you only need a screwdriver to replace it. $25.00
16. Illumitran magnification exposure scale. This scale fits next to the bellows and is used to automatically calculate the amount of exposure correction if you zoom in or zoom out on a slide. A lot of people only use the copier for making exact size copies and never use the scale, so they are often set a side and lost. SOLD
17. Illumitran plastic dust cover. Just the right size to cover your copier when not in use. used $15.00, new $30.00
Illumitran Copier Manuals
For a pdf version of the Illumitran copier manuals click here for:
To place an order email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Credit card payments can be made using PayPal, the #1
online payment service!
[Home Page | Stereo Cameras | Stereo Projectors | 3D Stuff ]